Skip to main content

Do I need to go back on a spending ban?

Last year, at least for the first part, I did really well with saving money. This year? Not so much. In fact I've done terribly. I don't know what has changed to be honest. For example, even though I have not actually done this months challenges (due to the month not being over, not because I've failed) I have already bought the treat! Totally wrong, and I'm disappointed in myself. So the question remains, do I need to go on a spending ban again and if so, for how long? It wasn't a spending ban last year per se, but an attempt at frugality. The irony is, when I made that first post I said about a spendthrift year, getting the definition the wrong way round. Well this year has been a spendthrift year, but it doesn't need to be.

Anyway, back to the crafting. The first thing I made this week was a birthday card, using some of the new stuff I got. I stamped some blueprint stamps onto card together, then again separately. The separate ones I cut out, coloured with distress markers, and attached to the together ones by foam pads. I inked the edges of the card, and used some perfect pearls.


 
Here is a close up of the pearls. Not bad for a first try at them.

 
The background is a birthday paper I had in my stash, and I used some flowers and ribbon as decoration.

 
You can just see the 3D effect on the cake.

 
Here's my update on the Beauty and the Beast stitch.
 
Finally, I saw this amazing tag the other day, and thought I'd try to make my own version. I didn't have the thinlits she used to give dimension to the tag, so instead I used an embossing folder. I've had it for ages and never used it. To make it a little different, rather than using just butterflies I used one butterfly (cut it twice so you get one with the details you can glue to the plain background) and a heart (ditto). I also die cut the word create. Once glued on you paint with black gesso then dry brush with various paints. I used the distress paints at my disposal; tarnished brass, antique bronze, burnished silver, iced spruce, fire brick red and gathered twigs. I then sprayed it with a glimmer mist.


 
I decided to add a trail of bronze perfect pearls, to look like a butterfly trail. As you can see I mucked one up.

 
Finally at the top I used an enamel tag with some remnant rub ons and alcohol ink, coating it with glossy accents, and a decorative pin that I twisted around with pliers to attach, before using a ribbon in my stash to tie it to the tag.
 
So there you have it. Not as good as the original, but my take on it.
 
Happy crafting everyone, and hopefully no spending!
Ems

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying out some new dies

Well, one new die. I also tried out some black shrink plastic and butterfly dies to make some jewellery. The trick with doing this is to roll the shrink plastic and the die back and forth through your machine more than once. Black shrink plastic tends to be difficult to cut. Anyway, once I had successfully cut out the butterflies I shrunk them. The best thing to do is to shrink them on the lower setting. After they had shrunk, I painted them with the new Sparks paints I got just before Christmas, before assembling them into earrings.


The pictures don't show just how beautiful the butterflies are. It's a perfect way of doing a pair of earrings for someone.
I've also tried my hand at making a slider card. There is a mistake there, as I didn't position the background paper properly so there is a little kraft paper showing through, but overall it went well. With these ones, if you are using the spiral slider piece you need to make sure that you use foam pads in the middl…

Keep rolling, rolling, rolling,rolling.

I've completed a few things this week. The first is my cross stitch. Already started work on a new one too!

I had to substitute a fair few colours but it works I think.
I've also done a few cards, using the DoCrafts Build a Scene dies. I have three; around the world, fairground, and summer's day.


The good thing about the fairground one is that you can use one of the offcuts as an insert, which makes it easier when using black card. I used everything but the balloon dies in this one, adding a couple of wooden stars painted silver and some silver gems for the lights.


I should have done the deep orange card bit blue apparently, for the sea, but I didn't have two shades of blue paper! Oh well, it still works. Perfect for a card from the sunny seaside of Newquay, except the seagull isn't attacking someone. The best thing is the offcut from one of these dies is perfect for another card - which will be revealed once I make it.

I've also made a bookmark.



I think this…

Somewhere...beyond the sea

Scary thing happening tomorrow - my first day at a new job, so there will probably be a little less in terms of posting until I settle in. I've done some this week though.


This was the first piece. I had to show you the background before I put all the ephemera on. It's a few lindy's sprays with the bubble stamp. The thing that makes the bubble stamp pop is the use of white pen to highlight the bubbles. Really makes it come alive.
Here's the finished product. I coloured letters with blue ink, glittered with stickles and coated with UTEE. I cut out plant life and inked it with various colours, as well as stamping a clam and star fish, and colouring with distress crayons. Finally I added a few shells.

Continuing the nautical theme, here is a pair of earrings, made with items from the latest Beadhaul box.

My aunt and uncle have been down for a couple of weeks, and while they were down my uncle painted our staircase. So I made him a thank you card. I chose the Wild at H…